NEW REMS TA Center Virtual Trainings by Request (VTBRs)
The REMS TA Center is excited to announce our NEW Virtual Trainings by Request (VTBRs) program! Like our live Trainings by Request, these interactive curricula are designed to assist education agencies, including school districts, schools and institutions of higher education (IHEs), state education agencies, and regional education agencies, with their professional development and their school safety, security, emergency management, and preparedness capacity-building efforts.
Our VTBRs vary in length from 2 to 4 hours. They are led by the REMS TA Center team and our cadre of highly qualified subject matter experts, who come equipped with hands-on knowledge of emergency preparedness principles and practices in the educational setting. To support learning before and after the event, each interactive VTBR also features pre- and post-training activities that enhance professional development efforts, build individual preparedness capacity, and support education agencies in bridging training and practice. All VTBRs feature interactive polls, breakout rooms, and chat-based discussions to enhance the learning process.
Featured VTBR Training Topics
The REMS TA Center designed the new VTBR program to mirror our live Trainings by Request offerings, ranging from developing a high-quality emergency operations plan (EOP) to understanding the behavioral threat assessment process. Find a list of training topics that are currently available below:
- Conducting K-12 Site Assessments With SITE ASSESS: A 2.5-hour-long training that will assist school districts and schools in conducting site assessments and using SITE ASSESS, the REMS TA Center’s free and secure mobile application (app) that allows personnel to walk around a building and grounds and examine their safety, security, accessibility, and emergency preparedness.
- Developing Emergency Operations Plans (EOPs) IHE 101 Train-the-Educator: A 2.5-hour-long training presenting important Federal guidance that will lay the groundwork to assist IHEs in planning for the safety of their campuses by providing attendees with guidelines and tools for developing, revising, and maintaining high-quality EOPs, in alignment with the Guide for Developing High-Quality Emergency Operations Plans for Institutions of Higher Education (IHE Guide).
- Developing Emergency Operations Plans (EOPs) K-12 101 Train-the-Educator: A 2-hour-long training summarizing the recommended six-step planning process to create a high-quality school EOP, as outlined in the Guide for Developing High-Quality School Emergency Operations Plans (School Guide), which provides an overview of Federal guidance on school emergency management planning.
- Developing Emergency Operations Plans (EOPs) K-12 101 Train-the-Trainer: A 2.5-hour-long training for potential master trainers that summarizes the recommended six-step planning process to create a high-quality school EOP, as outlined in the Guide for Developing High-Quality School Emergency Operations Plans (School Guide), which provides an overview of Federal guidance on school emergency management planning.
- Earthquake Preparedness for Schools: A 4-hour-long training designed to assist schools and school districts in planning for earthquakes that may impact the school community and its buildings and grounds, as well as those within the surrounding community.
- Resilience Strategies for Educators (RSE): Techniques for Self-Care and Peer Support Train-the-Educator: A 4-hour-long training that will assist caregivers in schools and school districts to better understand resilience and self-care strategies following natural disasters and other emergency events.
- School Behavioral Threat Assessments: An Introduction: A 3-hour-long training designed to familiarize schools and school districts with school behavioral threat assessments in preventing and reducing targeted violence at K-12 schools.
Applying to Request and Schedule a REMS TA Center VTBR
Interested in hosting a VTBR? Check our requirements below to review your agency’s eligibility.
- Be a public or nonpublic K-12 school, school district, IHE, local education agency, regional education agency, state education agency, or partner with an education agency that will serve as the lead requestor.
- Designate a local point of contact who will coordinate with REMS TA Center staff members and trainers regarding the logistics of the event.
- Market the training to the appropriately targeted audience(s), and ensure that the attendance requirements are met.
Complete and submit the VTBR Host Application Form to email@example.com. REMS TA Center staff will confirm the receipt of your application within 1 day.
Interested in hosting a series of VTBRs? The REMS TA Center is more than happy to work with your agency to help support your professional development efforts, which may include hosting a series of VTBRs over a period of days, weeks, or months with related training and TA activities. Find recommended training topic combinations below:
- Building Capacity Series: Host a train-the-trainer event with your core school safety team and/or those responsible for training key personnel on Day 1. On Day 2, invite all school staff who play a role in the EOP development process to attend a train-the-educator event. Recruit those staff who attended the Day 1 training to play a key speaking role during Day 2 so that they can practice training on the content with the support of our expert trainers.
- EOP Fundamentals Series: Host a train-the-trainer event with your core school safety team on Day 1 so the team understands the basics of EOP development. Host a SITE ASSESS training on Day 2 that provides a detailed look at assessing school buildings and grounds to support EOP updates. In addition, host a Behavioral Threat Assessment training on Day 3 that looks at the role behavioral threat assessments play in enhancing EOP development.
- Prepare and Recover Series: Host an Earthquake Preparedness training on Day 1 to walk through hazard-specific planning considerations and to conduct scenario-based planning. Host a Resilience Strategies training on Day 2 to help show educators tools they can use now to help ensure that they remain resilient in the event that an emergency, such as an earthquake, wildfire, or pandemic, impacts the school or campus community.
- Prepare and Recover Series: Host a Behavioral Threat Assessment training on Day 1 that addresses the role behavioral threat assessments play in supporting school safety and enhancing EOP development. Host a Resilience Strategies training on Day 2 to provide educators the tools they can use now to help ensure that they remain resilient in the event that an emergency, such as an earthquake, hurricane, wildfire, or pandemic, impacts the school or campus community.
To learn more about these virtual training topics, stay in the loop for future topic announcements, and to request a virtual training, send an email with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. A REMS TA Center team member will contact you to discuss your training needs and to answer any questions you may have. Training dates will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. We look forward to virtually training with you!